Thursday, June 23, 2011

Laura, five, steps out to support Madeleine’s Fund

Post  
http://menmedia.co.uk/wilmslowexpress/news/s/1424450_laura-five-steps-out-to-support-madeleines-fund?rss=yes

Laura, five, steps out to support Madeleine’s Fund
Charlotte Cox

June 23, 2011


A little girl has been so touched by the story of missing Madeleine McCann that she’s on a solo mission to help find her.

It began when Laura Keay, five, saw her mum reading the book, Madeleine, Kate McCann’s story of the family’s ordeal after her three-year-old daughter disappeared on holiday in Portugal in 2007.

Laura’s mum Caroline Dumville, 45, said: "She saw the picture of Madeleine on the front and asked me what it was all about so I explained.

"In the picture she’s a similar age to Laura so it really hit home.

"She was very upset. She immediately emptied her piggy-bank and asked me to send the money to help Madeleine."

Then Laura, who lives with her mum and dad Andrew, 49, and sister Isla, three, on Grange Park Avenue, Wilmslow, wondered how she could raise more money.

"I suggested she do a sponsored walk and try to find people to sponsor her," added Caroline, who runs Primrose Cottage Nursery in Moss Nook.

"It’s quite thoughtful for someone that age to be bothered. I suppose I relate too, because I have two young girls and if something like that happened it would be a nightmare."

So Laura will walk, with her mum, around The Carrs on Sunday, June 26.

Styal Primary School pupil Laura said: "I want to help Madeleine.

"I want to find her. It’s very sad but if I help they will pay for more policemen, because they’re all giving up."





All the money which Laura raises will be sent to the charity Madeleine’s Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned, the only organisation still actively searching for the McCanns’ daughter.

Laura plans to write to Madeleine’s parents when she sends her sponsorship money.

To sponsor Laura call 07770 897678.